My weight loss while on a ketogenic diet[/caption]
In this episode, I discuss how I used the ketogenic diet for weight loss. Ketosis is a physical phenomenon, where your body adapts to using fat for energy instead of sugar. Susan, who you met on episode 142, joined me on this conversation so she can ask questions as I went. I switched my eating to allow me to go into ketosis so I could drop some weight I'd gained over the past few months.
To get into ketosis, you lower your carbohydrates (carbs) to 20 grams or less and you increase your fat to make up the calories. You'll keep your protein moderate to ensure it doesn't spike your blood sugar.
In ketosis, your body burns the fat and produces ketones. These ketones can be used by the brain as fuel. In fact, most of the science on ketosis shows that the brain favors ketones. I know I feel better when I'm in ketosis.
Concerns with Ketosis
- Ketoacidosis – This is a dangerous condition that is typically limited to type I diabetics. In this condition, your ketone level gets dangerously high and the blood sugar is also high. This is a very rare condition and not something you'll
- Compliance – The ketogenic diet is difficult. It is not easy to go from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. Staying at 20 grams of carbs per day is very limiting. Fortunately, once you're in ketosis, you may be able to ratchet up your carb intake.
- Carb withdrawal/Keto flu – During the transition, you'll likely have some fatigue, effectively feeling like you have the flu.
- Medications – If you're a diabetic and take meds to help manage your blood sugar, you should talk to your doctor. You'll have to monitor yourself very closely. The ketogenic diet can be an effective way to reverse diabetes.
Ketogenic Diet Tools
You should be able to feel that you're in ketosis, but there are tools to measure ketones. To be in nutritional ketosis you will have a ketone reading of 0.5 – 7:0. You can measure ketones three ways:
- Keto-sticks are a cost effective way to measure the ketone bodies in your urine. However, once you get fat adapted, you won't be excreting ketones, and they will stop working. This makes them great for showing that you're in ketosis when you first start.
- The Precision Plus with ketone strips can measure the ketones in your blood. This is the most accurate way to determine when you're in ketosis.
- The Ketonix is a tool you can use to measure ketones in your breath. This is a pain and mess free way to do the measurement. I haven't seen any science to prove this tool is as accurate as the blood.
Other Considerations for the Ketogenic Diet
- Tweak your protein intake based on your exercise intensity.
- Make sure you're getting enough sodium and potassium. With a ketogenic diet, you'll lose water weight and with that some electrolytes.
- You'll likely lose some water weight early in the ketogenic diet.
- There are extraneous sources of ketones that you can take to increase the ketones. These can help when you need more energy.
- Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCT), which is processed from coconut oil. Because of the nature of this oil, it increased your ketone level quickly. Just make sure you ease into using it as it can cause diarrhea.
Whether you choose to use ketosis as a way to lose weight, now you understand what it is when you hear someone talking about it. More and more people are trying ketosis.
If you have any questions about the ketogenic diet, feel free to comment on this post.
Have a happy and healthy day!
Below are the links I mentioned in the podcast.
Precision Plus with Keto Strips
Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore