11 Reasons to lift weights
Resistance training with weights or body weight is a key component of one’s fitness routine. This involves taxing the muscles through a range of motion so they are pushed to a point where they will regrow stronger and bigger. Here are 11 great reasons why you should lift weights:
- Strength – As we age, we lose strength. If you don’t have the strength to perform basic functions, you may lose your independence. Lifting weights builds this strength.
- Mass – Lifting weights will allow you to maintain and build back any muscle lost over time. Don’t worry, you won’t get bulky!
- Body composition – Building muscle mass through lifting weights will protect you from building body fat, which will lead to a better body composition.
- Makes you better at other things – Lifting weights could make you a better runner, athlete, or it may simply give you the ability to play with your grandkids.
- Resilience – You will build the right muscles, leading to appropriate muscle balance. Make sure you have a balanced program through a full range of motion.
- Can boost testosterone – This will help maintain lean muscle and promote a healthy libido.
- Satisfaction – Lifting weights makes you feel that you have done something good for yourself and boosts your confidence.
- Community – You may form lasting bonds with others at the gym. This is a great support network to learn from and encourage.
- Longevity – Studies have shown that the more muscle mass you have, the longer you may live.
- Stress reduction – Vent some frustration, relieve stress, and get rid of some of that cortisol.
- Variety – Mix weight lifting with modalities such as speed or cardio. This will allow you to work your muscles in different ways.
Lifting weights offers many benefits throughout your health and fitness journey. Get started today!
Another episode you may enjoy