Throughout my own journey with health and fitness, I learned a number of weight loss lessons that I want to share in today’s podcast:
My best weight loss lessons
- Exercise is important, but not for weight loss – You can’t exercise yourself out of a bad diet. The food you eat is key to your weight loss.
- Insulin – To lose weight, reduce your total insulin load so the body can burn fat for energy. Do this by limiting your sugars and simple carbs.
- Ghellin – This is a hunger hormone that tends to be cyclical, usually highest in the evening and lowest in the morning.
- Leptin – This hormone signals to the brain that you’ve had enough food. Slow down on your eating so you allow time for this signaling to occur. This will prevent overeating.
- Cortisol – When your body is in a stress mode, it produces the hormone cortisol, which leads to storing body fat in your mid-section. Manage your stress levels to avoid this.
- Sleep – Get quality sleep and your hormones will balance out and work in harmony, promoting a good Circadian rhythm.
- Out of sight out mind – Don’t buy unhealthy foods. If you must, keep them in a separate space from the healthy food you are consuming.
- The decision isn't enough – Make a commitment to be healthier for the right reasons, perhaps an emotional one.
- Love yourself – Have internal self-love and make a commitment to yourself to be healthier.
- Scale movement doesn't equal health – Don’t let the scale define you. Focus on how you look and feel.
- Don't go it alone – Find an accountability partner or support network.
Perhaps you have some of your own weight loss tips. Share them in the comments!