Tag Archives for " stress reduction "
Though there are good and bad types of stress, there is no way to avoid all stress.
So, what is stress? Stress is a reaction of our body when it senses that something is not right. The body reacts to stress by releasing the hormone cortisol. Cortisol activates the adrenal glands, which prepares the body to react—fight or flight mode—to survive.
When we are constantly faced with stressors in our lives, our body does not have the opportunity to find balance. This can wear on your health and shows exactly why you need to learn to deal with bad stress in a healthy way. To reduce stress:
1. Avoid it – Stop overcommitting. Recognize your physical limitations. It’s better to under-promise and over-deliver.
2. Run away – Physically get up and move your body. Allow your body to burn off the cortisol and be productive.
3. Nature – This will help you relax and lower your stress threshold.
4. Sleep – Quality sleep primes your body to deal with stress.
5. Meditation – Focus on your current state and who you are, rather than what is happening around you.
6. Avoid stimulants – Alcohol, tobacco, and coffee can affect cortisol levels, particularly in times of high stress.
7. Take a break – Take a vacation or do something you enjoy.
8. Hobbies – Find regular time to do things that add value to your life, but are also stress-free.
9. Practice gratitude – Build an inventory of things for which you are thankful. Choose a positive response to stress.
10. Breathe – Breathe in a slow, controlled way to find a more relaxed state.
11. Talk to someone – Don’t keep it bottled up. Find someone you trust. Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable.
By following these tips, you will be able to reduce your stress level and live a happier, healthier life.