Motivation is a key factor in sticking with your health and fitness program. Here are five ways to help you stay motivated:
- Gamification – This keeps you motivated because there’s a score involved. It’s a process of having a score that’s going to drive you forward. Find ways to measure your performance against yourself to gamify the process. Be sure to keep it within your limits and don’t lose focus on what you’re trying to accomplish.
- Social pressure – While negative social pressure can be bad, good social pressure can help to encourage you. Consider joining Facebook groups for support or find an accountability partner.
- Sunk cost – If you’ve made an investment, or sunk cost, you are more likely to follow through because you want to get your money’s worth. Making a financial investment will often lead to greater results because the participants have an added reason to stay motivated.
- Fear – We know that fear is a strong motivator. There are actually ways to set up fear scenarios, such as committing to giving money to a cause you dislike when you don’t follow through. The potential outcome in this fear scenario should matter to you and it should be emotional to provide the greatest impact.
- Commitment – When you make a commitment, your motivation becomes a little bit easier. A compelling vision and why will help you stick with your plan because you want to reach your ultimate goal.
Incorporate these five suggestions and watch your motivation level soar!